Friday 21 August 2015

it was the usual...




it was the usual
too much to do
too little time
kind of Friday

lots of rocky shapes to negotiate

or it appeared to be at 8:00am

but by 9:30am
something small
but something special
just happened

a student
(a Year 10 student no less)

while he waited the long wait
for the school network to load on his computer
and I was drifting 
doing the usual rounds of
get thinking
get creating
sing song

told me to hold out my hands
cupped

I was still not quite into the roll/role of reality
so did as asked

he told me to close my eyes
and not peek

I closed my eyes

and then
I felt 
wrappers in my hands

something you'll like miss
to get you through the day

the eyes 
my eyes
popped open
and there were 
sweets
coffee sweets
tiny
wrapped
coffee delights

o so appealing

he smiled at my surprise
now don't munch them in class
he said
with a wicked grin

humbly 
quietly
I thanked him

if only students knew
how a day can be so changed
with a little kindness
and thoughtfulness

those rocky shapes
intimidating an hour ago
now sparkled

my Friday became
a day of beauty

that still lingers


No comments: